Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Peaceful, Happy, Beautiful

Recently, a friend told me how great I look and asked if I had lost weight.  I had seen he and his wife a couple of weeks earlier also, and he told me that after Bill and I left their house, they commented on how good I was looking.  Interesting.  The fact is, I have gained weight, not a lot, but enough that it seems obvious that the weight is up not down. I also have not had my hair colored in quite a while.  Lets just say that my current hair color is well on its way to making it a great idea for me to be a skunk for Halloween this year.  Also, my dermatologist went on a freezing frenzy on me, leaving some scabbing and scarring on my face and ear. So, really, it’s a perfect storm of not-my-best look. So how on Earth could they think that I was looking great?

 It got me thinking about a dear friend who has recently gone through a beautiful transformation of her look.  And no, she has not done a single thing cosmetically.  My friend, Keri, has had a tough couple of years…no, she has had a tough decade. Actually, decade-plus.  Her husband passed away in May of 2015 after a lengthy battle with ALS.  She was wife, caregiver, mother, handyman, breadwinner, and anything else she needed to be to get through the day.  Six months after Jon’s death, her house was broken into, ransacked, and burglarized. She wasn’t able to go back to the house and was fortunate to have a wonderful friend welcome her into her home for nearly a year..  Her stress level had been through the roof for years.  She faced sadness, uncertainty, lack of sleep, and any other emotion you could think to insert.

Keri is a beautiful woman, and no one has a bigger, more giving heart than she does.  She has always generated love, but it has been just this past couple of months that I have seen her outside beauty glow and radiate.  Every time I see her I feel as if she is wearing a crown of sparkling stars.  Her smile lights up a room and her laugh; oh that laugh of hers. People want to be around her.  This beauty is not new to her, but reborn; a new birthday if you will.  I don't think its any coincidence that last week at a restaurant, after a funny mix-up about bread pudding (long story) the waiter brought Keri a birthday cupcake. Nope, not her real birthday, but definitely a birthday - a new day.  Just more proof that the Universe sees her transformation also, and is reminding us all that it will be o.k. and there will be light after the darkness. The lack of stress has taken years off of her appearance. The heartache, though it will always be there, has lessoned and joy has been coming back into her life – and it shows. 

Her face now looks relaxed and shines brightly.  She exudes peace and a sense of fun and playfulness.  It makes me happy to see her beautiful transformation. 




My mom passed away eight years ago Monday, and my dad 14 months later. Since that time I have been struggling to have my full life back. Without going into eight years of detail, lets just fast forward to the last couple of years when I have been making a conscious effort to be more peaceful, happier, and fulfilled. I have had counseling, taken workshops, gone to an herbalist, started using essential oils, used meditation, been surrounded by enormous amounts of love by friends and family, traveled, gardened, read, used creativity, and studied new types of spirituality.  It sounds exhausting, but it’s working, and I have enjoyed the journey.  I have recently felt so much better. I feel more open, more peaceful, and happier...thank goodness. My life is amazing and I love the space I’m in right now. My insides are feeling pretty darn good, and if that is showing on the outside, well then what a bonus.

I realize now that what my friends perceived as my weight-loss is also a bit of my own transformation. I think Keri and I are exhibiting some symptoms of inner peace.   

Symptoms of Inner Peace   ~     Saskia Davis
These are some of the most common symptoms of 'inner peace'... if you are       experiencing any or all of these symptoms.... you're doing something right!

- A tendency to think and act spontaneously rather than on fears based on past experiences.

- An unmistakable ability to enjoy each moment.

- A loss of interest in judging other people.

- A loss of interest in interpreting the actions of others.

- A loss of interest in conflict.

- A loss of the ability to worry.

- Frequent, overwhelming episodes of appreciation.

- Contented feelings of connectedness with others and nature.

- Frequent attacks of smiling.

- An increased susceptibility to the love extended by others as well as the uncontrollable urge to extend it. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Love you, love your blog, love your insights, love your honesty, love your observations, love that you are healing and feeling better since all your losses, and your friend Keri too, wow! xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete