Thursday, August 25, 2016

I'm Writing a Book

Its 6:45 A.M. and my alarm has gone off for the second time today.  Its not because I’ve been hitting the snooze button since 5:30, its intentional.  I got up, set the alarm for an hour, and closed my eyes.

I just completed day four of a 90-day challenge – experiment – adventure, not really sure what the proper description would be, but I know it will be eye-opening. 

I’ve chosen to do three things every day for the next 90.  The first will be sitting quietly in meditation for one hour each morning.  An hour is a pretty long time.  You could get a cavity filled, watch two really dumb sitcoms, or get your film developed down at the drug store.

This new addition to my routine started on Sunday.  I know it’s going to be something that will open up my heart, sharpen my mind, and change my life.

Its interesting the sounds, smells, colors, light changes, thoughts, ideas, and memories that can be experienced by sitting uninterrupted with eyes closed for 60 minutes.

I will also be reading for 30 minutes each day, and writing for 30.  The reading part will be easiest for me.  Yes please, sitting and reading – sign me up.

The writing.  The writing is what I hope this new daily habit will open myself up to.  (Apparently its already working because I just finished my hour of meditation as I write this J.)

You see, I’m writing a book. There.  I said it.  I’m writing a book.  I am at a point in my book where I have encountered writers-block.  No, I haven’t gotten stumped on how to end the story, haven’t lost track of the character in the middle and aren’t sure which direction to turn next.  I haven’t written a single word.  That’s how blocked I am.  I have been “writing” this book of mine for years, but haven’t scribed a single word.  Boy, that really sounds ridiculous.  Its kind of like saying you’re running a marathon, but haven’t bought any running shoes and only own cowboy boots, or that you are going to make the world’s biggest afghan and don’t know how to knit, and haven’t figured out where to buy yarn.  Yes, that ridiculous.  What have I been doing?  Or more accurately, what have I NOT been doing?!  I have had countless people encourage me to write a book, some have offered such strong encouragement that maybe the word could be encourageTHREAT instead. 

I have every book-writing necessity there is.  I own an endless supply of yellow legal pads, ink pens from every business in Newhall, books on how to write books, books on how to find books on how to write books, books on why books on how to write don’t work, numerous desks in my house, a nice computer with the display set at 200% so I can see what I’m typing, Costa Rican coffee and inspirational coffee mugs galore.  Yes, I’m set up and ready to go.  Ready, set, screech….   At least that’s how it has been.  I’ve been blocking myself with every “ya but” there is. THE BUT STOPS HERE.  (ha! Get it? The but stops here?)

Everyone who wrote their first book didn’t know how ~ Kyle Cease


I’m taking steps, one step at a time. This 90-day adventure will be a great tool to open up my creativity.  I’m going to start each day with my heart and let the words flow.  Stay tuned….


No comments:

Post a Comment